NOT LIKE THAT

The incredible true story of two girls who got married .

Saturday, May 07, 2005

Wedding cakes, invitations, and aimless Saturday nights

Recently I was looking at wedding cakes online. Until you start to do even the most basic research, it’s hard to realise just how many ugly wedding cake styles there are. In fact, it seems like the vast majority of them are hideous. I was reading about the latest trend in cakes – having them shaped and decorated (usually in pastel-coloured icing) to resemble a pile of gift-wrapped boxes. And that was one of the better ugly designs.

Heather and I want to have a cake for the party we'll have here in Brisbane when we return. It'll be a fairly modest cake, I think; nice, but simple. We don't have a huge amount of money, and by the time we buy tickets to America and other wedding-related expenses, there won't be much left. Probably a negative amount, in fact. But hopefully we'll only ever do this once, so we want to do it well.

Invitations are another big cost. I've been looking at those online as well (it's something to do when I'm avoiding marking my students' work -- I'm tutoring in two courses at the moment). I can't believe how much invitations cost! The vaguely appealing ones cost close to eight dollars each (printed and complete) and that doesn't include reply cards. It isn't much cheaper to buy the cards and print them yourself. So I guess we'll be constructing and printing our own cards to keep costs down, unless we can think of an alternative. I want them to look really good, though; the invitations and the cake (and also the rings) are pretty much the only markers of a traditional wedding that we'll be incorpororating. So those things need to be just right.

Perhaps this is revealing to much, but I'll quickly add this postscript: It's a Saturday night and Heather and I can't seem to think of anything interesting to do. The only DVD in the house is a Nick Broomfield documentary, and his voiceovers (well, everything about him, really) drive me insane. So I'm updating this blog while Heather makes weird origami things on the back deck. Sometimes it feels like we're already married.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home