NOT LIKE THAT

The incredible true story of two girls who got married .

Monday, August 08, 2005

An unexpected eruption

After that somewhat disappointing phone call with my mother, I got upset. I thought about the exchange for about ten minutes before I called her back. Unfortunately, I didn’t realise how upset I was until I was talking to her. The minute I began to speak, I lost the plot and started sobbing and swearing. I was so upset that I can’t actually remember what I said. All I can remember are some of the key catchphrases of my one-woman fracas. Slogans of remarkable lyricism, like:
‘I’m so fucking sick of this!’
‘You’ve known about me for years. It’s time you got used to the idea!’
And my personal favourite: ‘I just want some fucking acceptance!’

In response to my horrendous bawling, Mum was quite upset and remarkably sympathetic. She told me how much she and Dad love me, and how sorry she was that I was upset. She said she felt that she couldn’t really talk to Dad about it. ‘How do you know that?’ I asked. ‘Mum, you haven’t tried. You don’t know—maybe he’ll surprise you.’

Poor old Dad, meanwhile, was in the bedroom, listening to Mum’s responses on the phone down the hall. He had no idea what was going on, but knew that I was terribly upset. He chose this exact moment to pick up the bedroom phone.
‘What’s the matter, Michelle?’
‘Nothing,’ I said.
‘See,’ Mum said. ‘You can’t talk to him about it, either.’ She had a good point. So, democratically, I began to yell at Dad too. I don’t remember what I said, exactly, but I do remember telling him that I was sick of him ‘asking about fucking Axel all the time.’
‘Do you think I’m stupid?’ I yelled. ‘Do you think I don’t know what you’re asking when you ask that? I’m with Heather, and that’s the way it’s going to be!’
If Dad made any response, it was very, very quiet because I don’t recall one. Mum told me she was really sorry, and she felt terrible that I was so upset. She said she’d talk to Dad when she got off the phone. She said this twice, and for once, she really seemed serious.

I hung up the phone and went outside. Heather was reading the paper. Silently, we looked at each other for a second. ‘Did you hear that?’ I asked.
‘Sweetie, I think the whole neighbourhood heard that,’ she said.
For the first time in days, though—ever since I caught the flu—my head felt clear and I could breathe. Nothing like an emotional meltdown to get that mucus flowing.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Michelle

I think your parents are very, very lucky that you still try to communicate with them.

My parents and I don't see eye to eye on just about anything (lifestyle, career, belief systems, what those essential qualities are which make someone a good person, etc), and it's been a long time since I've had even the vaguest hope that we could one day communicate as adults. Our relationship has almost reached the point where I'm able to convince myself I'd be better off cutting my losses altogether and calling off all contact.

I guess it must just be really hard for a lot of parents to trust that their children know how to be happy.

Ryan R, Brisbane

11:44 am  
Blogger Michelle said...

I know what you mean, Ryan--especially the part about "communicating as adults".
My parents always said they just wanted me to be happy, but this life isn't the kind of happy they imagined.
In the past, I've considered cutting off contact, and the idea still appeals from time to time. But I love them. I need to keep trying with them.
Good luck with your parents. Do whatever you need to do to keep yourself happy.

7:13 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home