NOT LIKE THAT

The incredible true story of two girls who got married .

Wednesday, September 21, 2005

Bits and pieces

I have been a very slack blogger lately. That will change now, though, because I submitted my thesis yesterday (yay!). Expect more frequent updates from now on.

All I have to do now is work as much as possible to make money for the wedding trip. It is now less than two months until we leave. I'm kind of excited, but also very much in business mode. There's so much to do before we leave, and I'm just trying to stay focussed and get it all done.

We have finished the invitations but not yet posted them all. We've also been making plans for the party in Massachusetts, which takes place on New Year's Eve. It will take place at Heather's friend Kara's place, and we thought it would be fun to combine the wedding celebration with a NYE party. Kara suggested that perhaps we could have a theme, so now we're thinking it'll be a 1920s-themed party. Dress ups! And a fabulous excuse for cocktail consumption (as if we needed an excuse).

Neither of us have any idea what to wear to our wedding, so that's something else we have to work out. It's actually very tricky. I want to dress up, but I don't want to look like a traditional bride, obviously. Any ideas for alternative bridal attire?

2 Comments:

Blogger Michelle said...

Thanks, guys! It actually felt like a bit of a non-event for a while, but since all my friends have insisted I must drink to celebrate, it is starting to feel real now.

4:58 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

(Belated) congrats on all the progress! Invites look loverly!

As for outfits, I used to wear a full tux with purple bow tie to high school functions here in the States, and I must say it's a rather attractive ensemble, all modesty aside. So I vote tuxes. In some of the lesbian weddings that have been happening in Massachusetts since it became legal last year, I've seen ladies in "matching but different" outfits - silk shirts of different colors and black slacks; a dress and a pantsuit made of similar fabrics; that kind of thing. I think it only works if both folks are suited to the clothes they choose - not always the case! My advice, choose something in a fabric that makes you feel special, shoes that make you feel comfortable, and your happiness on your face. I got married in Berkenstock sandals and a white silk gown to which I was not at all entitled, and I still get told a year and a half later that it's the best party many of the DH's family have been to, ever. And there's just hundreds of them, so we hit a few family weddings a year. I think that has to do with the fact that we couldn't help but radiate happiness in each other and our families. I'm hoping you will radiate too. I know Heather can't help but smile that fabulous smile, infectious, isn't it? :)

2:55 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home