NOT LIKE THAT

The incredible true story of two girls who got married .

Wednesday, January 11, 2006

Diamonds and gold

Several years ago, when Heather's grandmother Lillian died, Ted was devastated. They had been married for over sixty years. In his grief, Ted presented Heather with a diamond ring that he had given Lillian as an anniversary present.

As he passed the ring to Heather, his only grandchild, he said, "Before I die, I want to see you wear this when you get married."

Heather was very touched, but anxious. She knew that she couldn't grant Ted his wish because she would never marry a man, and therefore, she thought, never marry. When she went to Australia, she left the ring with her mother for safekeeping.

On Christmas Day, I spent the morning with Heather and her parents. We spent a long time opening the wonderful array of gifts that we'd received. Finally, I opened Heather's Christmas card to me, which had a small gift box attached. Inside was Lillian's diamond ring. Heather's mother had asked Heather if she wanted to give me the ring, and had organised resizing the ring when Heather said yes.

When Ted arrived later that afternoon for Christmas dinner, we showed him the ring on my finger. By this point, the strokes he'd suffered were affecting his speech, and he was a little difficult to understand. I leaned in close as he spoke to me.

"You have to keep it on now forever," he said. "You can't take it off."

"Don't worry," I said. "I plan to keep it on forever."

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ach, I'm all choked up, here in the middle of my office. Heather, my sympathies for your loss. Michelle, it has been wonderful meeting you and helping to celebrate during your time in the States - it was wonderful to put such a lovely face to the prose here! Be well, I miss you already!
K--

5:58 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

One other thing strikes me - that Ted's wish was granted before he passed, and perhpas was all he was waiting for. He got to see his Granddaughter happily married, and the ring on the finger of his new granddaughter. How wonderful that you both could give him that gift!

6:04 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Michelle, that is beautiful.

7:58 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What an incredible honour Michelle, and how beautiful.

10:34 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Michelle That is perhaps one the most wonderful things I have ever heard. It brings a tear to my eye.

8:34 am  
Blogger Michelle said...

Thanks, all of you.

7:16 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home